Soaked in Bleach

‘Soaked in Bleach’ takes a second look at Cobain’s death scene and contemplates mutiple theories surrounding his death.

Giving a voice to the countless rumors and conspiracy theories, one of Netflix’s newest releases, "Soaked in Bleach," tells the experience of private investigator Tom Grant as he investigated the disappearance and death of Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain.

Filmmaker Benjamin Statler allowed Grant to project his findings to the world for the first time on record to bring to light the messy death of Cobain. With valid evidence from audio records to interviews with close friends and family and visual reenactments, PI Grant unveiled a side to the story that is hard to ignore.

Pegged as a typical rock star with psychological issues and a serious drug problem, no one seemed to doubt that Cobain’s death on April 5, 1994 was anything but suicide. While countless conspiracy theories seem to revolve around the incident, none provide quite the hard-nosed evidence that is packed into "Soaked in Bleach."

Cobain’s wife Courtney Love hired PI Grant to investigate the disappearance of her husband leading up to the days before his death. As Grant tells the stories of the film, audio recordings act as the main source of narration in the visual reenactments. Grant’s evidence not only cast shadows of doubt against Love, but the Seattle Police Department as well. The group that was called to the scene reported and concluded that Cobain’s death was without a doubt a suicide within the first 48 hours of investigating, opting not to look further into the events leading up to Cobain’s death.

Grant’s recordings countlessly showcased Love’s inconsistencies and mysterious cryptic messages as well as exposing Love’s reluctance to tag along with Grant as he traveled looking for Cobain. Aside from Love’s sheepish behavior, Grant’s evidence raised many questions and backed each up with solid proof. One of Grant’s most compelling pieces of evidence includes the scene fixated on the positioning of both the gun and cartridge. The cartridge taken from the scene of Cobain’s death was found on the left side of Cobain, while the gun itself was also found on the, "left and back" from Cobain’s body. The gun being spun while in Cobain’s hand can only explain the strange positioning of both the gun and cartridge. The likelihood that this event happened is impossible, as explained by Grant, due to the fact that the gun would have had to be in a serious grip in this position to have caused the trauma that killed Cobain. Grant suggested the positioning could only be explained if someone placed the gun and cartridge there.

Grant’s indisputable evidence, from the positioning of the gun itself, to the odd letters found by Cobain’s attorney, Rosemary Carol, indicating someone was tracing Cobain’s notes and handwriting, as well as the large amount of heroin that was found in Cobain’s system, raise valid questions. "Soaked in Bleach," succeeded in what it sought out to prove: there are more unanswered questions surrounding Cobain’s strange and unexpected death.

Love’s attorney has requested a cease-and-desist order banning the film from being shown in theatres across the country. Love’s attempt to shield the film has failed to stop the showings and has only raised even more doubts surrounding her innocence in regards to the case.