'The Hobbit'

‘The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies’ will be released Dec. 19.

It’s almost finals week and soon, the semester will be over. Once it is, the hustle and bustle of college life will come to a halt. Fortunately, there are some interesting movies about to be released to cure the boredom that sometimes results from going on break.

On Dec. 19, six movies will be released including “The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies,” “Annie” and “Night at the Museum.”

This will be the last installment of “The Hobbit” trilogy, and is expected to be the best in the series. It begins directly where we left off in “The Desolation of Smaug,” and it features hardcore battle action and another amazing score by Howard Shore. It continues its interesting, dark perspective on “The Hobbit” story by J.R.R. Tolkien, a perspective which had mixed reactions from loyal Tolkien fans. Whether or not you agree with director Peter Jackson’s artistic flourishes, “The Hobbit” is sure to extinguish your boredom with its award-winning cast featuring Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Benedict Cumberbatch and more.

“Annie” is a modern take on an old story. Directed by Will Gluck, the film follows Annie (Quvenzhané Wallis), an African-American foster kid making her way through New York City in 2014. Cameron Diaz portrays Miss Hannigan. Instead of rich Daddy Warbucks, Jamie Foxx plays a rich politican named Will Stacks who is using Annie to further his campaign. While following the basic storyline of the original “Annie” loosely, this film still echoes all the pleasant themes and feelings the story is meant to and contains updated musical numbers.

In “Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb,” Larry Daley (Ben Stiller), travels around the world to protect the magic and save all the characters in the museum. Robin Williams returns as Teddy Roosevelt for one more night at the museum.

On Dec. 26, “Into the Woods,” “The Interview” and “American Sniper,” among other films, will be released.

Another musical this holiday season, “Into the Woods” is about an evil witch who tries to teach lessons to fairytale characters. “Into the Woods” features performances by many stars such as Meryl Streep as The Witch, Anna Kendrick as Cinderella and Johnny Depp who plays The Wolf. This is the second Stephen Sondheim musical Depp has appeared in, the first being Tim Burton’s “Sweeney Todd” in 2007.

Anticipated by some and chastised by others, the controversial comedy “The Interview” features James Franco and Seth Rogen. Rogen also co-directed the film, which is about the CIA hiring TV hosts to assassinate North Korean dictator Kim Jung-un.

“American Sniper” is a war biography about a navy S.E.A.L. It follows Chris Kyle (Bradley Cooper) and some of his more than 150 confirmed kills during his military career. Kyle was shot and killed at a Texas shooting range in 2013. The alleged shooter is still awaiting trial.

Horror film “The Woman in Black 2,” along with two dramas, “A Most Violent Year” and “Leviathan,” will hit theaters Jan. 2. Then, on Jan. 9, we will see the release of the third “Taken” movie.

With so many movies being released, there is plenty to fill your cold, snowy afternoons before returning for the spring semester.