This Friday, Sept. 20, WVU’s Chapter of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) will be hosting the Appalachian Arts and Poetry event as the University celebrates Diversity Week. The event will be held from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Mountainlair Gold Ballroom and will feature a number of artists and poets from Appalachia. The artists will share their experiences concerning what it is like to be a creator in this area as well as displaying some of their talents.

quinn hopen

Quinn Hopen

To start off the event, bluegrass musicians Tyler and Tiffany will play a few of their songs to give the audience a taste of true Appalachian music. Following the music, four Appalachian poets, Renee Nicholson, Rayna Momen, Kirk Judd and Torli Bush,w will be reading a few of their pieces. To close the event, artists Jamie Lester and Jane C. Michael will be showcasing their work. Lester is a sculptor and will be demonstrating his abilities in virtual reality sculpting, while Michael, a photographer and painter, will show off some of her work.

The Appalachian Arts and Poetry Event is meant to shed light on the plethora of artists who come from backgrounds many of our own WVU students can relate to, highlighting how their unique environments shaped them into the artists they are today. All are welcome to attend this event; we encourage you to pay a visit and support local artists!