Lil’ Jsean and Aesia

Lil’ Jsean and Aesia will host WVU’s Spring Fling event tomorrow.

Relax, listen to some music and enjoy the rush of competition in the Mountainlair plaza before the stress of finals kicks in. Tomorrow afternoon, all students can come support their favorite bands in the Spring Fling’s main event, the sixth annual Battle of the Bands. This event is sponsored by Schmitts Saloon, the Daily Athenaeum, WVU Student Government Association, Coca-Cola and WVUp All Night.

Only the top five bands were chosen to compete for the chance to win $1,000 presented by Coca-Cola and a one-year recording contract presented by Mon Hills Records. The runner up also gets the opportunity to headline at Schmitt’s Saloon. The bands fighting for these prizes are Floor Door consisting of Matt Sorrells, Marshal Amores, Megan Oniel and Nick Kirby; the next band features Chris Allen and Joshua Ash; The Manor and Friends band members are Ivan Gonzalez, Nicholas Adams, and James Darragh; What’s Missing, made up of Zane Miller, Aaron New, and Molly Ranhart; and, finally, Riviera, featuring Mike Higinbotham, Sam Hartiens, Nathan Pipes, and Zac Anderson.

Lil’ Jsean and Aesia will host tomorrow’s outdoor music event. The two are not only solo artists who have made their way on Billboard for their song "Trust ‘Em," but they are also brother and sister. They have opened for acts including rappers Waka Flocka Flame and Riff Raff. There will be a DJ, Renzo Diaz, five different food vendors and two inflatables to make the day even more enjoyable for everyone.

The bands will have to impress the judges with only three songs each. Bands have to perform at least two original songs and only one cover is allowed. Scoring is based on originality, musicality, showmanship, audience response, band dynamic and overall performance.

The first two judges are two members of the Davisson Brothers, Donnie Davisson and Chris Davisson. Donnie Davisson is the lead singer, while Chris Davisson is the lead guitarist. They will also play three songs for the show.

The next judge is Demetrius Greer. He currently serves as an academic advisor in the WVU Reed College of Media. Previously, he was a music counselor where he worked with music therapy. He was able to help clients rewrite their stories through music.

Carlton Smith is the next judge. He was born and raised in Buffalo, New York, but moved to Morgantown, West Virginia for West Virginia University. During his freshman year, he won the school’s Mountaineer Idol competition. In 2013 Carlton competed in the American Idol competition, where he made it to the group round in Hollywood before elimination.

The last judge is Hannah Harless. She is currently a junior strategic communications student with an emphasis in public relations. She is the public relations and marketing intern at Schmitt’s Saloon and the public relations manager for Mon Hills Records. After she graduates in December, she plans to move to Nashville to pursue a career in music public relations.

Spring Fling is from 1-5 p.m. tomorrow on the Mountainlair plaza. The event is free to all students.

For more information, visit http://mountainlair.wvu.edu/springfling.

Editor’s note: The Daily Athenaeum is a sponsor of this event.