With the end of the semester near, the dancers of West Virginia University show no sign of slowing down.

"A Celebration of Dance" concert will take place this weekend beginning at 7 p.m. on Thursday and Friday. The performance is a biannual event, similar to the performance in the fall semester. Each semester, the WVU Dance Program presents this concert to showcase a finale of the creative work completed by WVU student choreographers and dancers. The show includes a wide array of dance styles, with each dance having its own flair and something to remember it by.

Audiences should expect to see dances ranging from hip-hop to jazz, to contemporary to modern. The dances are characterized by what the new vice president of the Student Dance Association, junior dance student Rachel Moffitt, describes as "interesting takes on songs."

The spring showcase is unique from the other dance shows like the fall showcase and "Dance Now," because it grants anyone the opportunity to choreograph and take part in the performance. For the fall concert, students are required to take a prerequisite course of choreography to have the chance to choreograph for the show. From there, the student’s piece would have the possibility of being chosen to be in "Dance Now."

For this show, students involved are members of the Student Dance Association. This show is unique in that audiences get to see a lot of different things, not just the pieces that would be chosen. The choreographers and dancers are not just dance majors with minors in choreographing; they are students that genuinely have a passion for dance.

"A Celebration of Dance" is inimitable due to the fact that it is almost completely run by students. Students choreograph, run the lights and call cues. This performance is the capstone for seniors in the dance program.

Moffitt is a choreographer and a dancer in the show. She choreographed a number called "Forbidden Friendship," and she dances in it also. She will be dancing in another piece as well. Moffitt is excitedly looking forward to this last performance of the 2015-16 academic year, but with positive feelings comes bittersweet moments.

"I am excited to take the stage for the last time with a few of my favorite people," Moffitt said. "It is a difficult time because you get to know these people over the years, and then they have to leave and go on with their lives."

The president of the Student Dance Association, junior dance student Kathleen Sweat, believes the aspect of all students, regardless of major, being able to come together to showcase their passion is something to admire.

"Some really awesome things come out of these students," Sweat said. "This show has a lot of variety to offer audiences, and I think it is really just a fun show to see and be a part

of."

Dance lovers can catch the show at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. on Thursday and at 7 p.m. on Friday in the Antoinette Falbo Theatre of the Creative Arts Center. To purchase tickets, visit the box office at the Mountainlair or the Creative Arts Center. For more information, visit http://theatre.wvu.edu/