The Manor and Friends

The band The Manor and Friends will play at Mainstage Morgantown this Friday.

West Virginia University-made jam-rock band, The Manor and Friends, will take the stage tonight, not only for their love of music, but for a cause close to their hearts.

The show will begin at 9 p.m., at Mainstage Morgantown. The Manor and Friends hope to raise money for the ALS Association, a nonprofit organization dedicated to the fight against Lou Gehrig’s Disease.

Uncle Stump, a funk band from New Jersey will open the show.

A local music legend, The Manor and Friends, consists primarily of current WVU students, who began their journey with spontaneous jam sessions and college dorm room collaborations. Now a notable musical group in the Morgantown area, the young musicians attribute their small-town fame to their fans, who are often referred to as

friends.

A self-proclaimed jam-rock genre, The Manor and Friends incorporates many styles of music, including a fusion of reggae and funk. The "psychedelic sound and emotional articulation" produced by the band is influenced by artists such as Phish, Pink Floyd, The Who and Grateful Dead.

The band has recently welcomed drummer Tanner Henson to the group.

"(Students) should come partake in some live music and support a local band," said bassist Ivan Gonzalez. "It’s for a great cause, and you don’t see events like this usually happening."

Many people may know about the ALS Association from it’s prominent media presence within the last two years. The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge started in the summer of 2014 and became the world’s largest global social media phenomenon. More than 17 million people uploaded videos challenging selected friends to dump a bucket of ice cold water on their head not just for entertainment, but to raise awareness. It is now an annual event funding research for treatments and an ultimate cure for Amyotrophic Lateral

Sclerosis.

The ALS Association’s mission includes providing care services to assist people with ALS and their families through a network of 39 chapters working in communities across the nation and a global research program focused on the discovery of treatments and a cure for the disease.

The Association’s advocacy efforts empower people to advance policies in our nation’s capital that respond to the needs of people with ALS. It is through this integrated approach that ALS is able to support people living with the disease, provide them with vital benefits and ultimately find a treatment and cure.

The Manor and Friends has decided to support the organization and give money earned tonight to the ALS Association.

"Our friend Paulie Derin from Uncle Stump’s father passed away from ALS," Gonzalez said. "So he started playing shows to raise awareness and money for the cause. We thought, ‘why not bring awareness here to Morgantown?’ With the help of our friend Jamie Hoffman, and Tim and Vivian from Mainstage, we were able to get this show together."

To purchase tickets for the show, visit mainstagewv.com. Visit The Manor and Friends’ Facebook page to view more upcoming shows.