The WVU community the opportunity to witness the Broadway musical "42nd Street" on its local stage.

"42nd Street" will perform at the WVU Creative Arts Center at 7:30 p.m. on Jan. 18 as part of the University Arts Series produced by WVU Arts & Entertainment.

Based on a Bradford Ropes novel, the musical focuses on the character Peggy Sawyer, an aspiring dancer who leaves her hometown for New York. There, she auditions for "Pretty Lady," the new Broadway musical. After the star of the show breaks her ankle, Peggy has the opportunity to take center stage.

Originally produced by David Merrick in 1980, "42nd Street" ran nearly 3,500 performances in its more than eight years on a Broadway stage. It was also awarded Tony Awards for Best Musical and Best Choreography in 1981.

According to its website, the musical was revived on Broadway in 2001 and played more than 1,500 times. It won two Tony Awards for Best Musical Revival and Best Leading Actress and the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Revival.

The new production began its tour on Dec. 26 and will travel nationwide for 16 weeks, playing in more than 50 cities across the country.

The cast includes Matthew J. Taylor as Julian Marsh, Kaitlin Lawrence as Dorothy Brock and Caitlin Ehlinger as Peggy Sawyer. It features well-known songs such as "We’re in the Money," "Lullaby of Brodway," "Shuffle Off to Buffalo," "Dames" and "I Only Have Eyes for You."

Tickets for "42nd Street" start at $44 for the general public and $23 for those with a valid WVU ID. Discounted tickets are limited to one per valid WVU ID. The Mountainlair and Creative Arts Center box offices have tickets on sale now for those who wish to attend the performance.