Noises Off

Director of Costuming, Mary McClung, designs costumes for the play Noises Off.

The WVU School of Theatre and Dance filled an audience with laughter during its opening night of “Noises Off”.

The play’s first show was held last night at 7:30 p.m. and the show will continue to run for the entirety of the weekend.

“It makes you laugh,” said Professor Mary McClung, Director of Costuming. “It’s just a belly-laugh kind of show.”

“Noises Off” is about the backstage-life of a play. It shows what the actors go through when they are not performing on stage. However, the audience can expect a lot of shenanigans in addition to the hard work that gets a show running.

According to McClung, the dynamic of the play is what makes it so unique. Being three acts long and spread over the timespan of several months, you’ll notice a lot of character development and changes in relationships.

“They’re getting in fights, and storming around, and throwing tantrums, but they still have to go out and perform,” McClung said.

Since WVU School of Theatre and Dance does not put on many comedies and farces, McClung encourages students to come out and see Noises Off.

“It’s very fun and fast-paced,” McClung said.

The show stars WVU students, including Mallory Robson, Lonnie Simmons, Josh Clevenger, Haley Hizer, Megan Peters, Patrick Clarke, Stefanie Lemasters, Josh Pelikan and Dominic Massimino. The understudies are Cassie Hackbart and Mack Kale.

Noises Off continues its performances this weekend, Oct. 14-16 at the Metropolitan Theatre in Downtown Morgantown. Showtimes include Friday at 7:30 p.m., Saturday at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.

Tickets are available for purchase at the CAC, the Mountainlair box offices, online on Ticketmaster or by calling 304-293-SHOW.