Taking the stage at West Virginia University, pop culture phenomenon "Flashdance the Musical" will transport audience members back to the ‘80s.

The show will take place at WVU’s Creative Arts Center this weekend.

Based on the 1983 film "Flashdance," "Flashdance the Musical" tells the timeless tale of Alex Owens, a Pittsburgh steel mill welder by day and an exotic bar dancer by night. The musical follows Alex’s journey to pursue her dreams as a professional performer. When Alex becomes romantically involved with her steel mill boss, she discovers romance is complicating her ambitions.

With award-winning choreography, the show’s legendary dance numbers are performed by a nationally touring cast. Flashdance the Musical also features a "pulsating electronic score," which includes the movie’s biggest hits. Songs like "Maniac," "Gloria," "Manhunt" and "I Love Rock & Roll" will all make a special appearance, as well as the Academy Award-winning "Flashdance - What a Feeling."

New York dancer and actress, Julia Macchio, plays the lead role of Alex in this "super-sexy blockbuster."

Many people know Julia as the kid of the Karate Kid. Her father is Ralph Macchio, who rose to fame in 1984 as the popular star who trained by "waxing on" and "waxing off" in "The Karate Kid" films.

As soon as Julia landed her "Flashdance the Musical" role, she rented the movie right away to watch with her

dad.

Julia says her dad had some insight into the steel-toed boots, overalls, denim vests, funky-colored track suits and high-waisted parachute pants of 1980s America. After all, he is the car-waxing, crane-kicking "Daniel-san" LaRusso of three "Karate Kid" movies adored by millions.

"‘Flashdance,’ I tell him, is as tough as the ‘Karate Kid’ ever was," Julie Macchio said in an interview with The Virginian-Pilot. "Very physical."

The musical even remakes one of the most popular scenes in movie history. In "Flashdance," Alex arches back in a chair and pulls a chain, triggering water to pour over her body.

"It’s exactly two gallons," Macchio said. "I think it’s in the contract. I’m not sure, but it’s enough to get thoroughly wet. Backstage, we call the number the ‘Water Drop.’ It comes at the end of the first act, so I can dry off before going on."

Ryan Neal Green plays the part of Nick Hurley, Alex’s love interest.

Although "Flashdance the Musical" has only been on the road since mid-October, the cast has already been to Morgantown during a layover between two shows.

"We actually took that as an opportunity to decompress and went out and saw the town," Green said. "It was one of the most fun nights on tour. It was in a place none of us knew, and we had an amazing night in a cool little town."

WVU students are encouraged to take advantage of tickets at discounted rates to see the show.

"Flashdance the Musical" can be seen at 7:30 p.m. on Sunday at the Lyell B. Clay Concert Theatre in the

CAC.

Tickets are on sale now at the Mountainlair and Creative Arts Center box offices, online at http://Ticketmaster.com.