WVU Lab Theatre is set to take on another renowned playwright, this time with the sentimental drama, “Waving Goodbye.”

Written by Jamie Pachino, the 2002 play is being directed by senior BA theatre student Kayla Lutz as a part of her capstone. It features three female and two male actors from WVU’s Theatre Department.

Pachino’s play tells the story of Lily Blue, a 17-year-old artist and photographer who has recently moved in with the mother who abandoned her as a child after the tragic death of her father in a climbing accident. Lily wants nothing to do with her at first and takes refuge in her work and a budding relationship with her friend, Boggy, while she is haunted by the memories of her father, Jonathan. This feeling of loss is shared by Lily and her mother, and they work to build a new relationship in the shadow of these events. Megan Peters is playing Lily Blue in Lutz’s production and found a lot of herself in Lily as she was working on the show.

“When I first read it, she reminded me so much of me when I was younger. I’ve always been into art and making things out of nothing, and she says what she thinks, which I think is really compelling in a character,” Peters

said.

Since the last Lab production, “Disgraced,” only closed two weeks ago, it has been a quick ride for Lutz and her cast. The team has been working very hard to put in rehearsal and work time for designing their set, the way they will handle the many props and art pieces required for this show. This is also Lutz’s first time directing a full play, and she commented on how much of an exciting, but stressful, challenge this experience has been for

her.

“On one hand, doing a play is just doing a bunch of scenes mushed together. A manageable way to deal with it is to take it piece by piece. But you have to tell a bigger story, and making all of these scenes come together to tell that story is pretty difficult actually,” Lutz said.

The cast and director were all in agreement about the meaning behind “Waving Goodbye.” They felt strongly about its themes and how important and effective these themes would be to an audience.

“It’s about learning to move on, and coping with your feelings and all of the bad things in your life primarily through art and also through your relationships with people. There’s some pretty emotional and poignant moments. I’m hoping to hit my audience in the feelings, and make them think and maybe even help with them some heavy things they have been going through,” Lutz said.

“Waving Goodbye” starts at 7:30 p.m. Friday in the Vivian Davis Michael Theatre, and continues its run with a show Saturday night at the same time. There will also be a matinee showing at 2 p.m on Sunday. Admission is free, and the show runs for about two hours.