The 2022 DA Favorite Pet Contest

• We love seeing your pets in the pages of the DA, and now we need your help deciding who is your favorite pet of the past year! The winning photo will get a prize pack including a gift basket from Petco.
  • Updated

Meet Paisley! Paisley is the laziest dog ever, and her favorite activities include napping, eating and napping some more. She loves people, but is extremely stubborn. Paisley's only trick is that she will spin in a circle on her back legs (but only for cheese). Paisley’s favorite treat is ch…

Share your pet photos with the DA and we might include it in print and online!

Meet Gunner! Gunner’s a very sassy and lackadaisical Shar Pei/Lab mix. He enjoys long walks to the end of the driveway and naps, and can shake, sit, sit “pretty,” cry, whisper, bow and stay. Gunner's favorite treats include Pup Cups and ice cream.

Meet Wilson! Wilson is a 10 year old dog rescued from Nebraska. He's deaf, but has learned different hand signal commands. Wilson's favorite place is the Del Mar dog beach in California. He also loves to hang with his dog brother Dodge and bunny brother Elliot. Wilson knows how to shake your…

Meet Trooper! Trooper is 5-years-old. His favorite activities include sleeping, going on walks and sticking his head out of the car sunroof. Trooper is very good at sit and beg, and his favorite treats are bacon and peanut butter.

Meet Raya! Raya is a six-month-old Lab mix. Her hobbies include playing fetch, eating treats and receiving belly rubs for being a good girl. Raya can sit, lay down and put a smile on strangers faces. Her favorite treat is chicken and peanut butter.

Meet Daisy! Daisy is a sassy beagle, who loves to nap. When she isn't sleeping, Daisy expects food because she is constantly hungry and will insistently let her humans know that she is starving, even if she ate 10 minutes ago. When she is not plotting to take over the world with her adorable…

Meet Boe! Boe is a long-haired male Syrian hamster. He loves to run on his wheel and chew his toys to bits. Boe also likes to run around and explore his room and hide behind dressers and shelves. His favorite treat is sunflower seeds.

Meet Boulder! Boulder is an English Bulldog that loves to lay out in the sun and nap all day. He doesn't like to miss out on a snack- his nose can smell food from a mile away. Boulder's favorite game is stealing shoes and hiding them under the dining room table, and his tricks include sit, s…

Meet Otis! Otis is the sweetest boy. He loves to watch birds from the window sill, cuddle with his mom and his favorite human food is pizza crust. Otis doesn’t do many tricks, but he loves a good game of fetch and chasing ice all over the kitchen.

Meet Zeke! Zeke is a playful fella who likes long walks and trips to the dog park. He loves “Sally”, his favorite squeaky toy, and enjoys homemade treats from Mema.

Meet Strider! Strider is the craziest, cuddliest kitten. He loves to greet and play with new people, and also enjoys causing mischief at times. Strider has also eaten and enjoyed spinach. For tricks, Strider sits on his owner’s shoulders, and he also sits on his hind legs. Strider's favorite…

Meet Cooper! Cooper is a Pitbull/Rottweiler mix who loves to sit on your feet and give the BEST puppy dog eyes. He also licks your hand to say thank you, can sit and lay and can even say "I love you." Cooper's favorite treat is anything chicken flavored.

featured

Meet Capone! Capone is an 11-year-old Sheltie/Corgi/Beagle/whatever mix that loves to be the center of attention. He loves belly rubs, being told he is beautiful and cuddles with his mom.

featured

Meet Willa! Willa is the feistiest a six-year-old Boston Terrier you’ll ever meet. She's full of energy and loves to play with her roommate, Stella. She also appreciates a good cuddle session and will curl up under the covers right next to you. Willa knows many tricks and is still learning m…

featured

Meet King Tut! King Tut is a Beta Fish and a good little boy. He loves to swim in circles and eat bloodworms. For tricks, King Tut will puff up really big if you put a mirror in front of him.

featured

Meet Sora! Sora is a playful Shiba Inu who loves scratches, grilled cheese and running in circles. His tricks include sitting and smiling, and his favorite treat is Dentastix.

featured

Meet Banjo! She's a fun and loving rescue kitten who brings smiles to everyone's face! Banjo's favorite thing to do is cuddle up to you for her afternoon nap, and get her breakfast and dinner. She's sweet and cuddly until she gets the zoomies and terrorizes everything in her path, especially…

featured

Meet Desmond, an American Shorthair Tuxedo cat. Desmond is a three-year-old certified ESA! Dapper Des sports his tuxedo and an attitude every day; he loves chin rubs, treats, and crawling into warm laundry- they call him the Laundry Gremlin. He is both the goodest boy and a terror bundled in…

featured

Meet Rafa and Madison! Rafa and Madison are Petit Basset Griffon Vendeens (PBGV), and by nature are ornery and vocal - they are hound dogs and give voice freely. Rafa has been with their owner since he was a puppy, and Madison (who is Rafa's niece) was rehomed with her current owner because …

featured

Meet Poppy! Poppy hates to cuddle, but loves to sit between your legs under blankets. Her favorite thing to do is chase squirrels, but she's just a little too loud and they always hear her coming before she gets there. Poppy loves people; the only reason anyone ever comes to her human’s hous…

featured

Meet Molly! Molly is very laid back Beagle mix that also loves to explore the outdoors. Her favorite thing to do is go to the family farm and run around the fields, followed by a nice nap in the sun. Molly knows to speak, shake and roll-over and will eat anything.

featured

Meet Bear, a 3-year-old Yorkie and Daschund mix. He likes heated blankets and playing tug of war. Bear's favorite thing to do is wear clothes- he's wearing his United States Postal Worker outfit in this picture. Bear hates rain and mail carriers (which is ironic given the outfit). Bear doesn…

featured

Meet Zeus! Zeus is their owner's first pet, which they got from their Greek Mythology professor at Potomac State College. Zeus loves to sit in an armchair and get brushed, and frequently tries to get in the toilet to play with the water. For tricks, Zeus can catch flies in mid-air by slappin…

featured

Meet Rico, a 3-4 year old chihuahua mix. He loves to play, especially with his favorite stuffed black bear toy, and also loves car rides, walks on the Rail Trail and sunbathing with his brother Bruce Wayne. Rico enjoys chasing his tail and running in circles, and during the evening, you can …

featured

Meet Baker! Baker is an Australian Cattle dog that loves belly rubs, eating grass and chewing on water bottles. He can sit, is able to chase his tail and fetch, and his favorite treat is ice cubes.

featured

Meet Taters, a one-year-old Bernese Mountain Dog that lives in Houston, TX with her sister Tots. Her favorite snacks are peanut butter, watermelon and bananas. Taters' favorite activities are nap time, belly rubs, walks and cheering on the Mountaineers. Follow Taters and Tots on Instagram as…

featured

This is Jingles! Jingles is 12-years-old and has more beds and blankets than we can count, but she prefers to sleep on her mom's Tempur-Pedic. She loves peanut butter, Hoggin' Dogs ice cream and Cheerios. Every Halloween her dad buys them matching costumes; this year she is going to be a lion!

featured

Meet Fred! Fred is a large grey cat and was rescued as a stray kitten in Ohio. He’s a very loud and talkative cat and loves to snuggle and lay right on top of you. Fred is really sassy and sometimes gets aggravated if he’s not getting love and attention- the closest thing Fred can do to a tr…

featured

Meet Beau! Beau is a tabby cat who loves to run around and play in water! He's very friendly and loves to be around people. When he's not playing, Beau is busy napping with his stuffed lamb toy. For tricks, Beau climbs up your leg when he wants you to pick him up and hold him, and his favori…

featured

Meet Beck and Rory! Beck is a 4-year-old cattle dog mix and Rory is a 3-year-old golden retriever. They enjoy hiking, running, fetching the tennis ball and especially swimming in any body of water. For tricks, Rory will do a full dive into a swimming pool non-stop for hours every day of the …

featured
  • Updated
  • Comments

Meet Gretzky and Coco! They are very fun, friendly and fantastic. For tricks, Gretzky and Coco have been seen doing the occasional backflip (not on command), and for treats, Gretzky loves Denti Sticks and Coco loves Tissue Paper.

featured
  • Updated
  • Comments

Meet Angus! He’s a clown and a tank, and will run and jump on everything- he’s got some angus beef on him. Angus is obsessed with a watering can that’s in the shape of a pig that he’ll chase back and forth, and his favorite treat is Nilla Wafers.

featured
  • Updated
  • Comments

Meet Ruby, an American English Coonhound rescue that lead a rough life. She’s getting used to the couch and air conditioning. Ruby has learned to sit and shake, and her favorite activity is a long walk, and her favorite treats are soft milk bones and frosty paws .

featured
  • Updated
  • Comments

Meet Ripley! She’s much more energetic than your average bulldog. Ripley loves going to dog parks and running with the big dogs, meeting new people, playing with soccer balls and of course a good nap. Ripley also loves riding longboards and skateboards! When she gets on, it’s impossible to g…

featured
  • Comments

Meet Loki! He's a huge goofball, and loves to sing and walk around the house looking for crumbs to eat. Loki's favorite trick is when you say "boop," he bobs his head up and down, and his favorite treat is pistachios.

featured
  • Updated
  • Comments

Meet Rascal, a 12 year old shitzu. Even though he’s an older dog, and has a few age related problems (dementia, arthritis, cataracts), he still has the spirit of a puppy! He is the biggest WVU fan and is ALWAYS sporting one of his WVU collars (except when he’s wearing his Christmas bow, of c…

featured
  • Updated
  • Comments

Meet Sam. Sam is a 9-year-old lab mix rescue and the resident shop dog at Defense In Depth in Sabraton. His favorite treat is chicken.

featured
  • Comments

Meet Blackie! Blackie is a Black Labrador and former editor-in-chief's Douglas Soule's pet. Blackie is very dysfunctional- he doesn't fetch, hates water, and yet, he is a very awesome companion! His tricks include sleeping and eating, and his favorite treat is marshmallows.

featured
  • Updated
  • Comments

Meet Eggnog! Eggnog is an expert fly catcher, wall climber and nap enthusiast! Her best friend is Misteke (featured in the pic!). Eggnog's favorite hobby is fly catching, which consists of leaps and flips followed by promptly eating it!

featured
  • Updated
  • Comments

Meet Butterball! Butterball loves to eat, cuddle with his Mommy and knock down anything he can. His best trick is to eat a whole can of cat food in 0.5 seconds, and his favorite treat is Friskies.

The Daily Athenaeum logo WVU's Independent Student Newspaper