The People v. O.J. Simpson

‘The People v. O.J. Simpson’ came to a close after leading America through the ‘Trial of the Century’ for a second time.

Twenty-one years ago, two people lost their lives outside a Brentwood townhouse. The chaos surrounding these murders would consume the lives of hundreds of people over the course of the next two years.

Instead of writing a crime series based on fictional cases, FX producers Larry Karaszewski and Scott Alexander decided to shine light on the case that has not been talked about for years: The murder of football star O.J. Simpsons’s wife, Nicole, and her friend, Ronald Goldman.

Based on Jeffery Toobin’s novel, “The Run of His Life: The People v. O.J. Simpson” the producers followed the infamous trial over the course of ten episodes. The series followed the step-by-step actions taken by the Los Angeles District Attorney Office, Simpson’s defense team, the media and people all over the country.

“American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson” acted as a time machine over the course of the past two months. Sending the viewers back to 1995, the horrid murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman were brought back into the media. Over the course of the past twenty years, key characters of the infamous trial capitalized on the story by releasing “their side.”

Although it was a challenging feat, the first season of American Crime Story did an excellent job portraying all sides of the very confusing

trial.

While the program’s writing was realistic and factual, it was the acting that made the show. John Travolta, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Sarah Paulson, David Schwimmer, Kenneth Choi, Sterling K. Brown and Courtney B. Vance all had outstanding performances. Not only did all the actors look like their real-life counterparts, but the raw emotion poured into their acting made it hard to tell the difference from the show and real life trial footage.

Named “The Trial of the Century” the effects of this case are still seen in American culture today. In the season finale, prosecutor, Christopher Darden, warns head defense lawyer, Johnnie Cochran, that the trial was not a victory and the violence against African-Americans would continue.

Looking back from 2016, it is clear Darden was correct. In light of so many murders of minorities in this country, the racial undertones of this case are still relevant in today’s culture.

However, as quickly as the trial came to an end, so did season one. The audience was curious to see how FX would choose to end the series. After the verdict was announced, photos of the real life characters were shown with a few sentences describing where they are now. However, FX chose not to end the series with the characters the media clung on to, instead they focused on the true victims whose stories and lives had been forgotten during the trial of a lifetime: Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman.

Fellow crime junkies, don’t be upset. Season two of American Crime Story is in the works. Although the release date has not been set, the second season will focus on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

For more information about American Crime Story, visit http://fxnetworks.com/.