Beity

A new Mediterranean restaurant, Beity, has opened on High Street.

High Street is becoming a cultural one-stop shop with new additions to the restaurant strip. A new Mediterranean restaurant, Beity, opened up its doors on Jan. 11 for the Morgantown community once students arrived back on campus.

The new ethnic restaurant is replacing Tortonis former location on High Street, next to Annex and Jameson’s. Beity is a family owned and operated establishment, run by the family of West Virginia University student, Racil Mando.

Her family emigrated from Syria four years ago when she was a high school junior because of the revolution. Her father previously owned a massive soda factory, which was unfortunately destroyed. He started building a residential compound with houses in Syria, but the family left the country before he could finish it.

Mando’s parents are not fluent in English, so she speaks for them about the restaurant and translates for them in necessary situations. The family used to co-own the similar Mediterranean restaurant on High Street, Jasmine Grill but decided to open their own business in hopes of increasing interest in authentic Mediterranean meals.

The Mando family serves a variety of Mediterranean platters that are rich in flavor and high quality. The meats served in Beity are 100 percent halal and grilled to provide a healthy experience. Beity also caters to vegetarians by preparing menu items such as grape leaves, falafel and hummus. Various types of Middle Eastern seasonings leave a signature mark and flavorful taste to the genuine food from across the world. Daily specials are offered every day to spice up the variety served.

Mando believes her family’s goal for Beity is to introduce homemade, authentic Mediterranean food to college students. Many international students eat at Beity to feel at home and get a taste of the food they grew up eating. The family tried to create a peaceful, comfortable environment for students to come eat and unwind.

Beity is an Arabic word meaning "my home". Mando shares that her family’s purpose of opening their own restaurant is to reflect what the Beity means as a whole. The experience is meant to make students feel like they are in the comfort of their own home.

"We want to serve good, clean food that tastes just like home. We want students to feel like they are home when they come to us," said Mando. "The food is actually cooked at home by my mother, so it is actually a home cooked meal. You do not feel like you are eating heavy restaurant food."

Sophomore sports management and journalism double major Andrew Walker has never heard of Beity before, but his eyes lit up when he found out about the unique addition to

Morgantown.

"I used to never like Mediterranean food, especially when I was younger. However, as I have gotten older, my interest in it has widened," Walker said. "I would definitely be interested in trying Beity out."

Mando said that her family’s future goals are to eventually open up several restaurants in close-by cities if Beity becomes popular within the Morgantown community.

For hours and information, visit http://www.beitywv.com/.