With pop music blasting from speakers and crowds gathering throughout downtown, the annual tradition of Panhellenic Bid Day finally came for 2020.

The women going through recruitment learned which sorority chapter they had been invited to join, with all eight Panhellenic sororities meeting their recruitment quotas, and then the festivities of the day began. 

Not only were they dancing and beginning to inaugurate their newest sisters, but cowbells and colorful, neon outfits were also part of the celebration activities.

Slade_SororityBidDayOnlineSelects9.jpg

Sisters of Kappa Kappa Gamma welcome new members on Bid Day.

“They come up with a theme for Bid Day and their outfits kind of spring off of that theme,” said Katie Moore, assistant director of Fraternity and Sorority Life. “It’s usually centered around a t-shirt that is with the theme. It’s a fun thing to celebrate the new members, celebrate the end of recruitment.”

Recruitment, which began Jan. 24, ended with 309 women being bid matched to a sorority, an increase of 20 women from 2019. All chapters added at least 35 members on Sunday, and it is the second straight year all eight chapters met their quota. 

“Recruitment went really well this year,” Moore said. “Our VP of recruitment for Panhellenic, her name is Hannah Davis, did an amazing job keeping everyone on track, making sure that all the plans were followed. She did a wonderful job.”

The University and its office of Fraternity and Sorority Life also continued their goal of having a “Go Greek” mentality — pushing people to join Greek life as a whole rather than one particular chapter.

“They were out there dancing together and having a good time,” Moore said. “We’ve seen an increase in positive Panhellenic relations and friendships and stuff like that. It’s not just the new members that we’re hoping will pick up that ‘Go Greek’ mantra, but also the chapters.”