Excited sisters gathered in the Mountainlair on Sunday to find out which sorority they had been invited to join.

kappa kappa gamma on bid day

The Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority celebrating after spring bid day 2019. 

“I am very proud of the work of the Panhellenic leadership over the course of the last two weeks,” said Matthew Richardson, director of Greek Life at WVU. “For the first time in many years, all of our chapters matched to the maximum number of women per new member class. We also had less women released from the process than in recent years. Our retention numbers are up, and our community is growing in a more intentional manner.

Erin Bradley, a senior from Grafton, West Virginia studying public health and child development and family studies, is a member of Alpha Omicron Pi and serves as the president of the Panhellenic Association, the umbrella organization for sororities on campus.

“Bid Day is always so exciting for everyone involved,” Bradley said. “For new members it’s the first time they get to meet the women who they’ll hopefully call their sisters upon initiation. It’s really just like coming home. It’s a giant celebration of sisterhood and just shows how happy everyone is to have another new member class.”

Kendra Lobban, a senior finance student from Morgantown, serves as the vice president of recruitment on the Panhellenic executive board. Last year, she served as the president of Chi Omega.

Lobban said bids were extended to 300 women, and each chapter got 30-40 new members.

Sunday marked the end of primary recruitment, which has been going on since Jan 19.

Lobban said on Sunday that those who had been rushing were taken to the Mountainlair and given an envelope inviting them to a sorority by their Rho Gamma, a woman who has disassociated from her sorority to help guide new recruits through rush week.

They were then released onto the Mountainlair Green where they got to meet their new sororities.

“It is something that is hard to understand if you’re not a part of it, so I don’t fault anyone for that,” Lobban said.

Lobban said she was grateful for all of the leadership opportunities provided to her through her involvement with her sorority.

“It’s not just meeting new people and making friends. Once you join, it can open a lot of doors for you. It really brings out the best in people,” Lobban said.