guitar club

The WVU Guitar Club performing at a charity event.

When 40 people showed up to the first WVU Guitar Club meeting, it soon became hectic with differing styles and levels of expertise.

Despite the impressive turn out, by being held in Towers, the meeting’s largest problem was one they are still trying to figure out — noise.

“When the first meeting happened, I think we had at least 40 people come because they all expressed interest, and when all the [electric guitars] started playing, it was just a noise fest that I had never heard before,” said Andrew Hull, president of the WVU Guitar Club.

Hull, a junior chemical engineering student, created the club as a freshman after originally wanting to create a band at WVU. And now, two-and-a-half years later, the club is still together.

“There wasn’t any guitar clubs when I joined [WVU]. Originally, I wanted to start a band, but then we found out that there were far more guitarists than people that wanted to make a band,” Hull said. “All of them wanted to jam, so me and a group of three other guys decided to form the club.”

The club’s initial meetings were getting together and playing simple songs with simple chords, nothing too complicated, and eventually grew to adding different instruments, too.

Hull wanted to limit the club to just acoustic guitars, but he gave in with one stipulation — the new instruments had to watch their noise levels. From this, a saxophone was brought in. Then there was a pair of ukuleles. And, finally, there was a set of spoons.

Although there was an intention of playing simple songs, confusion and a lack of coordination enused, which forced Hull to reevaluate the Guitar Club’s meetings.

“We ultimately decided having 15 guitars in one room and having them play entirely different things never works out,” he said.

The Guitar Club has put a hiatus on its meetings for now, but is still actively looking for members and wants to hold meetings again in the future.

“The thing is people want to do their own thing when they’re playing their instrument and sometimes people don’t want to play soft acoustic music, sometimes they just want to play heavy, heavy metal,” Hull said.

Even with the problems the club faced, Hull and the fellow members are still performing as a group, just in a different capacity.

The WVU Guitar Club began playing events after being invited to by the University, beginning with a charity event at the Vandalia Lounge, where the club provided background music in support of a Make-A-Wish fundraiser.

It has since provided support for charity events at the Erickson Alumni Center, which raised more than $12,000, and in front of Woodburn Hall, when the Student Events Board hosted a pumpkin carving.

As Hull and the Guitar Club continue to figure out the workings of the club, they have still accomplished one of Hull’s main objectives when he created it.

“One of my goals in creating the Guitar Club was also to unite everyone in musical harmony and try to get a sense of musical appreciation together,” Hull said.