Dana Brooks

Dana Brooks 

Dana Brooks spent more than 40 years helping advance WVU.

He started at WVU as a graduate teaching assistant in the 1970s and rose from there. In 1992, Brooks became interim dean of the School of Physical Education, which has since been renamed the College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences – a renaming which he oversaw, according to a University news release. He became dean the following year and held the position until he retired in Spring 2019.

“I stayed here because of the people – the Mountaineer spirit,” Brooks said in a Wednesday interview. “The love for the state, love for the people, love for the students – that’s key.”

Brooks said the University has changed and grown with him throughout his career.

“They allow me to grow and expand, to teach and learn, to travel around the world,” he said.

“Dana Brooks embodies the administrator who never loses his passion for his field or his scholarship, even as he takes on leadership roles,” said former Provost Joyce McConnell in the University news release, which announced Brook’s retirement.

The University credits Brooks with a number of accomplishments, including the following:

Leading CPASS in expanding degree programs for both undergraduate and graduate students

Moving to a new building featuring innovative lab and classroom spaces and bringing faculty onboard who have developed national research profiles in their fields.

Securing two endowed professorships for CPASS

Overseeing the development of the International Center of Performance Excellence and FiT Publishing

He has also served on committees and councils such as WVU Athletics Council, Black Community Concerns, Social Justice Council and Affirmative Action, according to the news release.

He was project administrator for the College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences National Youth Sports Program, a “four-week summer camp that provides underprivileged youth aged 9-15 with sport and enrichment activities over a four-week summer camp program,” according to the release.

“In the many years that he provided both leadership and vision to our College of Physical Activity and Sports Sciences, he has done so with tremendous integrity, energy and humor,” McConnell said. “His impact on both this institution and on his academic discipline is immeasurable.”

Brooks is also the co-author of “Racism in College Athletics: The African American Experience” and “Diversity and Social Justice in College Sports.”