WVU Foundation Scholar David Laub has been awarded the Newman Civic Fellowship.

David Laub, a senior biology and English literature student from Martinsburg, West Virginia, was named Newman Civic Fellow in March and has had many credible achievements during his time at WVU.

Laub was awarded WVU’s full-ride Foundation Scholarship, has published academic research, been named a Newman Civic Fellow, been endorsed by WVU for the Rhodes Scholarship and been named a finalist for WVU’s Mr. Mountaineer.

Laub also started Mountaineer Mentors, a student organization on campus that travels to various high schools throughout the state to help students seek a college education.

When thinking back to why he started Mountaineer Mentors, Laub recalled some experiences he went through before receiving his scholarships.

“In my scholarship class, there were a ton of people way more qualified than I was on paper and so I didn’t understand why I was chosen as a winner.”

“I realized that I wasn’t less qualified because I was inherently less intelligent or not as hard working. Rather, I felt that it was due to a difference in opportunity and knowledge of those opportunities,” Laub said.

Mountaineer Mentors became an information service to help students become more aware of ways to become leaders in their communities and develop themselves professionally.

“We present on standards of professional development and college readiness, as well as scholarship and college application processes. We visit anywhere from five to 10 high schools total per semester and speak to thousands of students, so I’m really proud of what we’ve achieved.”

Laub is hoping to optimize the recruitment as well as make Mountaineer Mentors a sustainable organization so that after he leaves, underclassmen will be able to pick up where he left off.

“I’ve been able to do a lot of recruitment work for WVU and leverage Newman as evidence to prospective students that the University is one that fosters service and community engagement,” Laub said.

Laub said one of his proudest achievements has been the opportunity to volunteer abroad. He has been a member of the Global Medical and Dental Brigades since his freshman year and has traveled to Nicaragua, Honduras and Ghana.

“Once in-country, we help run free medical clinics and contribute to public health projects in resource-reduced regions. These include digging trenches to place pipes for transporting clean water and building sanitation stations with toilets and showers.”

After college, Laub plans to apply to WVU’s MD/PhD program to study healthcare access for his public health research.

“I guess [I] feel like I owe something to WVU and the state—I couldn’t have afforded to go to school here if it weren’t for the Foundation Scholarship.”

“I genuinely don’t know what I’d be doing right now otherwise. So, I want to use my career to give back to the people who’ve helped me get to where I am today.”

Alayna Fuller is a junior journalism major from Morgantown, West Virginia. She is the news editor for The Daily Athenaeum and interned at the Charleston Gazette-Mail during summer 2019.