The WVU Young Americans for Freedom organization and the WVU College Republicans held the “9/11 Never Forget Project” at Woodburn Circle on Tuesday night, where members planted American flags to honor the lives lost on Sept. 11, 2001.

“We’re planting the flags so they’ll be up all day tomorrow, so as people walk by they’ll remember the lives that were taken in the 9/11 attacks,” said Kathryn Brooks, founder and vice chair of WVU YAF.

Jaron Bragg, YAF’s chair, said not enough people remember the impact of 9/11.

“It’s crazy that 18 years ago, we lost 2,977 people and many people seem to forget about that," he said. "This is to remember the victims and the lives they gave for our country.”

“It would be nice to see more things like this," he said. "It’s very nonpartisan. We are just out here remembering Americans who lost their lives, and, to me, there is nothing political about it."

Alongside many YAF members were members of the WVU College Republicans.

“I don’t think this boils down to left versus right," said Jillian Kinder, a senior and former WVU Federation of College Republicans chairperson. "It boils down to patriotism, the love for our country and being proud of our country."

Correction: A former version of this article said Jillian Kinder was the former chairperson for WVUCR. This is incorrect. Kinder was the former chairperson for the WVU Federation of College Republicans.