milo

Milo Yiannopoulos holds a sign used by the protestors that came into White Hall Dec. 1, 2016. Yiannopoulos was invited to speak at WVU by the College Republicans.

Protests erupted outside of White Hall during Milo Yiannopoulos’ speech, “What Trump Means,” part of his “Dangerous Fa**ot” tour on Thursday night.

This was Yiannopoulos’ first speech since President-Elect Donald Trump’s win in the 2016 presidential election.

Several masked protesters were heard chanting “No Trump, no KKK, no fascist USA,” the same chant Trump protesters used during an anti-Trump march Nov. 9 in Morgantown.

The University did not endorse the event, but said, “as an institution that encourages the exchange of ideas, as well as supports a student’s quest to participate in that exchange, the University encourages dissenters and supporters alike to listen to and discuss topics in a civil and respectful manner befitting of Mountaineers,” in a statement from WVUToday.

During his speech, Yiannopoulos targeted WVU sociology professor Daniel Brewster, criticizing his appearance, calling him a “c*nt” and a “f*cking idiot.”

“I hear he’s fond of bullying conservative students,” Yiannopoulos said.

Yiannopoulos’ slideshow featured a picture of Brewster with the words “fat fa**ot” in large print.

He then criticized Brewster for hosting an event for students to attend (a movie screening in honor of World AIDS Day) instead of Yiannopoulos’ lecture.

“He’s quite notorious,” Yian- nopoulos said. “It wasn’t difficult to find people throwing his name and saying look into this guy.”

Yiannopoulos also criticized the Kelloggs brand for withdrawing its advertisements from Breitbart, and ultra-right commentary website where Yiannopoulos serves as technology editor. He dumped a box of Frosted Flakes on the carpet.

The event was hosted by WVU College Republicans.

“I can’t speak for the entire club. I agree with a lot of what Milo says,” said Dakota Workman, chairman of the College Republicans. “I know a lot of people in our club agree with a good bit of what Milo says.”

Workman said speakers like Yiannopoulos had the right to come to WVU.

“I think we need to encourage people who don’t fit the mindset of college,” Workman said. “You don’t come here to live in your own little bubble and just hear ideas that fit your own mentality. You have to hear ideas of people you don’t agree with.”

Yiannopoulos said the reason for his college tour was because college campuses are what a lot of Americans think “is how the country’s gone wrong.”

Yiannopoulos said his events were an opportunity for students to speak fully and freely.

“The social justice, the progressivism, the feminism, the Black Lives Matter, the speech codes, the language policing, the name calling—this stuff starts on campuses, so it’s important to fight it on campuses,” Yiannopoulos said.