Update 04/06/2020

WVU has pushed back the date on when it will make decisions on room and board reimbursement.

WVU had planned to announce how it would use funding from a $2 trillion stimulus package that provided resources to higher education institutions by April 3.

According to a University update, "Though West Virginia University had hoped to announce a plan by April 3, further guidance from the Department of Education is still pending on how the stimulus dollars may be used."

Due to non-essential travel being prohibited by the West Virginia stay-at-home order, students are currently unable to return to campus to retrieve their belongings.

According to the update, students will not be able to move out their belongings until the order is lifted. 

__________

WVU has announced it will not be refunding students for tuition despite courses being moved online.

Although modes of delivery have changed, because course instruction is still being given and credit is still being earned, the University will not reimburse students, according to a University COVID-19 update that was emailed to WVU faculty and students.

Reimbursements for meal plans and Residence Halls are still being decided. According to the email, an update will be available by April 3. 

According to the update, "In response to the devastating effects the novel coronavirus COVID-19 is having on our nation, Congress passed a $2 trillion stimulus package on Friday, March 27. Included in the package were resources to assist higher education institutions and their students.

"West Virginia University is expecting further guidance from the Department of Education on how those dollars can be used to assist our students," according to the update.

WVU Medicine is also working with the University in the case extra bed spaces will be needed to treat the virus. 

According to the update, "The Governor has asked for the University’s assistance should there be the need for housing for our healthcare workers. The University is reviewing the options should it become necessary. All move-outs from the residence halls will be scheduled so that the process is safe for all students and the campus community.

"At this time, we ask that you not come to campus to move out of your residence hall until notified by the University. All belongings continue to be safely secured."

Gabriella is from Ashtabula, Ohio, and has written for the DA since 2018. She is a journalism student with a minor in Japanese studies and German, and plans to attend WVU College of Law following graduation.