The DA obtained WVU Police Department body camera footage from the Feb. 1 Spruce Street gathering, which was dispersed with pepper balls, smoke grenades and a long-range acoustic device.

The Morgantown Police Department, which declared the gathering a riot, was the one who used the pepper balls, smoke grenades and the long-range acoustic device for dispersal.

Friday’s snow day draws nearly 1,000 to Spruce

The WVU police body camera footage was obtained by a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.  Two FOIA requests for Morgantown PD body camera footage have been denied because "those records are linked to an investigation that is still open and ongoing,” according to an email from Beth Judy, the Morgantown legal administrative assistant.

Another FOIA request was sent to Morgantown on Wednesday.

On March 6, 11 people were served arrest warrants for involvement in the riot, with future warrants expected. Eight of those who were named in the warrants were listed as residents of the Sigma Nu fraternity house and one as a resident of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house.

On Feb. 1, Morgantown Police Chief Ed Preston said the crowd, which he estimated to be made up of 750 to 900 people, threw items including beer bottles and rocks at city employees.

Morgantown PD, WVU PD and the Monongalia County Sheriff’s Department were all on scene.

News sources across the country published stories about the Spruce Street gathering, which police had declared a riot. Articles appeared in The Washington Post, CBS News, Fox News and more.