2018 Homecoming Queen and King

Homecoming King Douglas Ernest Jr. and Queen Kendra Lobban are crowned. 

The 2018 Homecoming king and queen are ready to accomplish great things at the University after being crowned on Saturday.

Seniors Douglas Ernest Jr. and Kendra Lobban took their crowns during the halftime ceremony at Milan Puskar Stadium.

Ernest said winning the crown felt amazing.

“I almost passed out on field.” Ernest said. “It’s a moment I’ll never forget.”

"A Homecoming king has a big role at WVU and I can use that for good,” Ernest said. “I want to do an event that changes the perception that WVU is just a party school.”

For the candidates, the campaigning process was both fun and stressful.

“It was really cool because I got to meet students I never would have had the pleasure of meeting, go to different organizations on campus and talk to them and got to be creative with social media,” Ernest said.

He also gave credit to Lobban for helping him through the process as they teamed up.

The titles of king and queen go much deeper than the sashes and crowns.

Lobban and Ernest both take great pride in being Mountaineer royalty.

“The title of WVU homecoming queen to me means representing a wonderful institution in more than one way,” Lobban said. “With this position, I will be able to give back to the community through service and leadership.”

Lobban explained that from here on out, their responsibilities are up to them to make and fulfill. Ernest and Lobban have set the goal to give back to Morgantown, as it has provided so much for them.

“I want to show the world how amazing WVU truly is,” Ernest said.

The two students are active in Greek life along with other student organizations.

Ernest is a marketing student with a minor in leadership studies. He is the vice president of recruitment for the Interfraternity Council and the parent/alumni relations chairman for Phi Kappa Psi. He is also a part of the Student Government Association and a recipient of many state and University scholarships. He was sponsored by Phi Kappa Psi fraternity.

Lobban is a finance student minoring in political science and pre-law and legal studies. She is a member of the honors college and the former president of Chi Omega. She is the vice president of recruitment for the West Virginia University Panhellenic Association and also a recipient of many scholarships.

She is sponsored by Chi Omega sorority.

The first event Lobban and Ernest will attend is Walk for Wishes on Saturday, Oct. 20.