Frat row

The fraternities on High Street in Morgantown.

Students in WVU fraternities and sororities have higher GPAs than undergraduate WVU students overall.

In fall 2019, the sorority and fraternity GPA average was 3.240, and the average GPA for all WVU undergraduate students was 2.969.

“On academic performance, I believe that Greek students have a built-in support network of peers, both older and younger, that can better support them academically,” said Matthew Richardson, director of the WVU Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life. “We see our Greeks studying together in the chapter house, in the library or even in the Mountainlair.”

WVU fraternity and sorority councils include the Interfraternity Council, National Pan-Hellenic Council, Panhellenic Association and Professional Greek Council.

The following organizations lead their respective Councils, according to WVU Today: Phi Sigma Phi Fraternity (3.2) for the Interfraternity Council; Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. (2.843) for the National Pan-Hellenic Council; Kappa Kappa Gamma Sorority (3.47) for the Panhellenic Association; Phi Beta Lambda Co-Ed Business Fraternity (3.7) for the Professional Greek Council

“We incentivize high academic performance through our Greek academic honoraries, the Order of Omega and Gamma Sigma Alpha,” Richardson said. “We also recognize chapter performance on our website through our Honors Program.”

In 2018, Reaching the Summit was adopted into WVU to serve as a plan to align Greek organizations with the University’s values and new community standards, including increases in grade point averages for current and new members, according to WVUToday.

“With greater expectations comes higher performance,” Richardson said. “I’m confident this trend will continue.”

Alayna Fuller is a junior journalism major from Morgantown, West Virginia. She is the news editor for The Daily Athenaeum and interned at the Charleston Gazette-Mail during summer 2019.