A man was shot early Sunday morning in downtown Morgantown, according to a city news release.

At approximately 3:25 a.m. on Sunday, the Morgantown Police Department responded to a report of shots fired near the intersection of Chestnut Street and Wall Street, according to the release.

MPD determined that a group was involved in a verbal altercation at Walnut Street's 4th and Goal bar, according to the release. The group left the location and walked towards the Chestnut Street parking garage.

The victim was waiting for his friend to bring the car around for them to leave the area, according to the release. While waiting, a silver Ford Flex, being operated by a tall, heavy-set black male, wearing a black jacket and blue jeans, stopped the vehicle, got out and shot the victim in the arm, according to the release.

The victim fled the scene and was later treated at Ruby Memorial Hospital for a single gunshot wound to his arm and was released, according the release. The suspect fled the area in the Ford Flex.

MPD said this incident was not a random act, and the department is not releasing the victim's name.

Those with information about the incident can contact the MPD Detective Unit at 304-284-7454 or call the Morgantown Police Department TIPS Line to make an anonymous tip at 304-284-7520.

Morgantown did not provide information about this incident until Monday morning – nearly 30 hours after police responded to the report of shots fired.

In a series of emails and tweets, WVU informed students of the following early Sunday morning:

Updates will be provided as information becomes available.