The Independent Interfraternity Council (IIFC) held an informal recruiting session Wednesday evening in a response to WVU’s announcement to hold a secondary recruitment session for WVU-affiliated fraternities.

IIFC Vice President of Community Relations Jimmy Frey said the council wanted to inform students their reasoning for breaking from the University.

“We mostly just explained the disaffiliation and why we’re doing it, and talked about why you should rush this disaffiliated fraternity,” Frey said.

About 40 students attended the event, Frey said, and the IIFC hopes to hold similar informal sessions down the road. He added that unlike the WVU Interfraternity Council’s (IFC) rush period, the IIFC will wait until next semester to begin accepting pledges again.

“We’ll meet with kids and tell them why we did what we did and tell them to rush in the spring and what not,” he said. “It’s so late in the semester, it’s too late to do a rush week with a whole class again.”

In a press release posted to the IIFC’s Twitter account Monday, the council wrote it had problems with President E. Gordon Gee’s letter to parents announcing the pilot program.

“The IIFC steadfastly believes that students do not believe their rights and privileges at the gate of the institutions in which they enroll, and we feel it is patently unfair to ask them to do so,” the release wrote.

“The IIFC firmly believes that the rights guaranteed by the Constitution are not at the mercy of University bureaucrats who have shown no reservation in violating them when they see fit.”

It continued, “[a]ll male students — including freshmen — seeking information regarding our member fraternities are highly encouraged to participate.”

Joe Severino is a senior Journalism major from Elkins, West Virginia. He is the News Editor for The Daily Athenaeum and interned with the Charleston Gazette-Mail summer 2018.