Pride flag

In light of decision to remove pride flags from local schools, members of Morgantown Pride are planning a protest ahead of a Monongalia County Board of Education meeting next week.

“Come out to support the LGBTQ+ students and faculty of Mon County Schools and demand the BOE reverse their Pride flag ban,” Morgantown Pride said Tuesday in an Instagram post.

Earlier this month, the school board proposed a decision that would ban pride flags in public schools in Monongalia County.

School officials, citing a policy adopted in 2020, said the "political" nature of the flags cause a "disruption" in classrooms.

According to the Monongalia County School policy, “Non-school related activities, including political activities, do not contribute to a positive learning climate and may be disruptive, divisive and distracting. Therefore, such activities are not appropriate within the school setting. It is the intention of the board of education to regulate such activities on all board owned or used property, within all school buildings and all school sponsored activities.”

School officials are still debating whether this policy applies to pride flags.

With the decision, a number of local residents has expressed concern with the policy change in classrooms.

In a school board meeting last week, more than a dozen residents spoke in favor of displaying the flags in schools. Board members are expected to discuss the policy again at next week's meeting.

Morgantown Pride's protest is scheduled for 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 27, at the county school board building located at 1751 Earl L. Core Road. The organization is encouraging members and community residents to attend.

The school board meeting will begin at 6 p.m.

“Queer community members and allies are encouraged to attend!” Morgantown Pride said.