WVU provost and vice president for academic affairs Joyce McConnell has been named as the finalist for Colorado State’s president’s job, and will likely leave after more than 24 years at the University.

Joyce McConnell

WVU Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs

According to CBS Denver, McConnell will become the school’s first female president and the 15th in the school’s history, pending approval from CSU’s board.

Statement from President E. Gordon Gee, via WVU Today:

“It comes as no surprise to us that Joyce has been sought to lead other institutions. Her talents, combined with her passion for higher education, elevated not only West Virginia University, but also the state of West Virginia. A valuable member of our team, she leads with strategy and thoughtfulness — and produces results.”

“There are strong similarities between the ethos of West Virginia University and Colorado State University, including the goals of being model 21st Century schools. We fully expect her to have an immediate national presence. Colorado State University is truly selecting one of the best.”

Statement from WVU Board of Governors Chair William Wilmoth:

“Personally, it’s one of those bittersweet moments where we need to say farewell to someone who absolutely should be leading a major university. CSU’s gain is WVU’s loss.”

Statement from Rico Munn, chair of the CSU System Board of Governors:

“Joyce McConnell has an extraordinary track record in higher education leadership and a deep appreciation for Colorado State University’s mission and character.”

“She has shown a unique ability to lead with vision while bringing diverse groups alongside in a common drive for excellence. We are grateful to the Search Advisory Committee for its work and for the input from our CSU community that played a critical role in identifying Provost McConnell as finalist for consideration as the next president of CSU.”