The two SGA presidential candidate pairs facing campaign violations appealed their election violation charges last Monday.

SGA Attorney General Miguel Henriquez presented both pairs with a “penalty resolution” that would have the following effects:

• Drop the penalties each candidate faced

• Not assign guilt in regard to the violations

• Candidates accept SGA’s formal reprimand

• Prevent further appeals with regard to this case

The Martin/Arbogast pair accepted the penalty resolution as it stood.

The Zaleski/Bonar pair made six demands of SGA in order for them to accept the penalty resolution:

• Immediately make all appendices to the Elections Code publicly available on the SGA website and notify all potential candidates when it has done so.

• Make any official memos regarding the elections code or its interpretation publicly available on the SGA website and notify all potential candidates when it has done so

• Make any future official memos regarding the elections code publicly available on the SGA website immediately after release, and notify all potential candidates when it has done so

• All members of the election committee (including ex-officio member) agree not to record any election-related proceedings without first getting the consent of everyone being recorded

• Any future changes in the elections timetable must be immediately posted to the SGA twitter, and all potential candidates notified

• Allow all (potential) Presidential candidates to send a non-voting representative to all committee proceedings to present the (potential) candidate/ticket’s opinion and report back to the (potential) candidate/ticket on the proceedings.

Zaleski wrote in an email that the committee accepted the first five of these conditions.

“Our intent with these obligations was to deal with all the issues that had made this process such a trainwreck, and to push the SGA to deal with it immediately,” Zaleski said. “Notably, the elections committee has routinely failed to make documents publicly available. At the time we were negotiating, all the appendices to the elections code were unavailable to us.”

The two pairs were served $30 fines on Jan. 23 by the WVU Elections Committee for comments made in a Jan. 13 Daily Athenaeum article. The pairs were charged with active campaigning before the allotted time.