SGA

Halfway through the fall semester, WVU's Student Government Association is fielding nearly twice as many grant applications this year compared to last year.

At this point last year, the organization had received 35 applications for student groups seeking funding for their various activities. This year so far, the Bureau of Finance has reviewed 65 applications.

"I think last year we did a really good job of being transparent with the grant process," said Rachel Daw, SGA treasurer. "It set a good precedent, and now I think more students and groups just know about us."

In addition to receiving more applications for grants, SGA has also awarded more total grants so far than at this point last year.

"We're going a lot faster, and we've spent more money, but that has gone toward more grants than before," Daw said, during a report to the SGA Student Assembly at Wednesday's meeting.

At the end of last year, SGA's grant fund was expended and student organizations looking for money were placed on a waitlist to receive funds. This year, Daw believe the organizations are acting quicker to ensure they can get access to the money available.

At the heightened rate, SGA has awarded $44,841.19 in grant money so far, however only about $13,000 has been claimed by the student organizations requesting the funds, Daw said. 

This isn't abnormal, as at the end of each year SGA sees money left in the grant budget that organizations fail to claim for various reasons, like events falling through or circumstances changing.

Also at this week's meeting:

- The Student Assembly unanimously approved sponsoring a Survivor's Vigil event on Oct. 27 in partnership with the WVU Title IX Office and the It's On Us campaign 

- The Student Assembly unanimously approved the following grants:

•  $1,500.00 to the Student Bar Association to cover catering for its annual event in February
  • $423.25 to National Residence Hall Honorary to purchase 11 quarter-zip sweatshirts for members
  • $1,968.00 to the Disc Golf Club to pay for lodging and registration for the team's national tournament
  • $1,368.00 to the National Band Association for a national conference in Chicago
  • $1,381.98 to the Figure Skating Club for lodging and registration fees needed to attend the Eastern Sectional Championships in Florida