WVU’s Student Government Association plans to get students more involved throughout campus improve safety on campus, and provide more education on sexual assault prevention and mental health, according to the Dye-Matheny Administration Mid-Term Report.

Kate Dye is SGA’s president, and Madi Matheney is SGA’s vice president.

The seven-page report provides a comprehensive list of every action performed by SGA during the first half of the 2019 fall semester and their plans for further actions as the semester goes along.

To improve outreach and better represent the student body, the current administration set a goal of hosting monthly town halls to focus on prominent student issues and to facilitate events to engage with students, according to the mid-term report.

“In the past, SGA really never had the mobility or took steps to get feedback from students,” Dye said. “We are taking steps to get more information from the student body.”

SGA has helped complete two safety gear distributions, where WVU branded iron-on reflective patches and zipper-pulls were made available to students.

To enhance student safety, the organization contributed to improving pedestrian crosswalks by adding rumble strips, flashing light beacons and additional signage on Falling Run Road, “Pizza Al’s” and Campus Drive.

To raise awareness, educate others and promote the prevention of hazing, SGA facilitated a Hazing Round Table Discussion during National Hazing Prevention Week.

So far, SGA has passed four pieces of legislation, which include two Assembly Resolutions and two Assembly Bills.

Assembly Resolution 2019-02 provides accommodations for Muslim students as they fast during the Holy Month of Ramadan, while Assembly Resolution 2019-02 supports the request of information regarding WVU’s carbon footprint.

Assembly Bill 2019-02 established an “SGA Day of Service,” and Assembly Bill 2019-03 was enacted to allow SGA to participate in collecting donations for West Virginia Forward’s Camp “Tomorrow is Mine.”

The Student Assembly is currently working on six new pieces of legislation, according to Dye.

“We’ve tried to put a larger emphasis on legislation this year,” she said. “I don’t think that, in the past couple of years, SGA has utilized that power enough.”

As the semester progresses, the Dye-Matheny Administration plans to maintain a keen focus on safety, mental health and sexual assault prevention.

Dye said she’d like to see curriculum on sexual assault prevention become a mandatory course for every student. Additionally, she said that SGA is working on providing students with more education on the resources that are available for them to combat things such as mental health issues.

“We’ve been working with the Carruth Center, and we’re helping them identify what they lack in,” she said. “We have a piece of legislation in the works for increased signage for the Carruth Center, because students aren’t aware of the types of services they offer.”

Dye said SGA is taking action to accomplish each goal, and that she believes positive change will come within the next year.

“All of these things, of course, are a really slow process,” Dye said. “We may not see the fruits for a couple of years, but I think we are on the right pathway.”

SGA will conduct a “Safety Walk” across the Downtown and Evansdale campuses on November 11 at 7 p.m., where they’ll evaluate the safeness of student routes