WVU’s chapter of Theta Chi announced Sunday night it will be disassociating from the University, according to a news release from its national office.

In the release, the office wrote “[t]his decision comes as a result of West Virginia University’s continued restrictions on first semester students joining fraternities. These restrictions single out fraternal organizations and are not being applied to other student organizations or teams. There is no research to suggest that delayed recruitment addresses any of the challenges WVU has cited as rationale for such restrictions.”

The Alpha Kappa Chapter of Theta Chi is now the fourth WVU fraternity to disassociate, following Kappa Alpha, Sigma Chi and Phi Sigma Kappa. Phi Sigma Kappa announced its disassociation on Saturday.

“The Fraternity urges WVU administrators to cease verbal attacks and intimidation of students and organizations who have taken principled stand against restrictions on the timing of fraternity recruitment,” the Theta Chi release said.

The office said Theta Chi will be an “active participant in the formation of an independent Interfraternity Council” in Morgantown. Phi Sigma Kappa announced Saturday its intentions to be a participant in an independent council.

Former News Editor

Joe Severino is a senior Journalism major from Elkins, West Virginia. He is the News Editor for The Daily Athenaeum and interned with the Charleston Gazette-Mail summer 2018.