Creative Arts Center (copy)

The newly-renamed Loulie, Valerie and William Canady Creative Arts Center.

The United States Air Force Band will be making a stop Morgantown for the first time to perform a mix of traditional band music, marches, popular tunes and patriotic songs.

This free event with take place on March 11 at 8 p.m. and will be located in the Lyell B. Clay Theatre.

Scott Tobias, director of bands, said he encourages all to come out and support the band.

Tobias said this band consists of some of the best musicians in America. He said premier military bands tour the nation every year, and WVU is fortunate enough this year to have been chosen as one of its venues.

“This concert will be an outstanding opportunity for our students and community to hear musicians of this caliber perform,” Tobias said. “Attending the concert is also a great way to show support for the men and women of the United States Air Force.”

Tobias said because the military is supported by tax dollars, the concert is free to the public. While the concert is free, he said those interested must still book a ticket in advance to ensure enough space is available.

Tobias said different branches will be on tour each year, and WVU hopes to make this into an annual event. Because it is divided into different regions, Tobias said it will most likely be a few years before the United States Air Force Band specifically returns to Morgantown.

“One of the other branches will be in our region each year,” he said. “We hope to be able to host performances by the United States Marine Band, the United States Army Band and the United States Navy Band in the near future.”

To reserve a seat for the concert, contact the West Virginia University School of Music at 304-293-5511.

Majoring in Journalism with a minor in Japanese and German I love traveling and have studied abroad in Germany and Sardinia, Italy.I have taught English in Germany. I enjoy learning languages and hope to study international law at WVU Law School.