West Virginia head coach Bob Huggins smiles prior West Virginia's game against Nicholls on Dec. 14, 2019 at the WVU Coliseum.

Almost $2,500 has been donated to a GoFundMe page created by Matt Alton, a WVU graduate living in Florida, titled “Let’s Match Coach Hugg’s Big 12 Fine”.

The money from the GoFundMe will go to the Norma Mae Huggins Cancer Research Endowment at the WVU Cancer Institute Fund.

Alton created the GoFundMe page after WVU basketball coach Bob Huggins was fined $10,000 by the Big 12 Conference for calling officials “three blind mice.”

“I didn’t exactly come up with this idea all by myself,” Alton said. “I was on the message board, which I tend to go to and chat with other WVU fans.”

Dalton said the idea was put in the group message, and he said he’d get it started.

“I thought what better place to give this money if we were going to do this than the endowment fund he set up in his mom’s name,” Alton said.

In 2003, Norma Mae Huggins, Bob Huggins mother, passed away from colon cancer and to commemorate her life, Huggins established the endowment.

The Endowment Fund supports clinical research targeting many diseases that are common among residents of the Mountain State, which has one of the highest cancer mortality rates in the nation, according to the WVU Cancer Institute.

Alton attended WVU’s Morgantown campus from 2005 to 2006, but transferred to the Parkersburg campus after his mom was diagnosed with breast cancer to be closer to home. She beat cancer, but because of it, Alton developed an interest in cancer research.

“This isn’t about me at all,” Alton said. “I don’t want it to be about me. It’s just cool to see maybe something negative turn into something pretty positive.”

Correction: Alton's name was misspelled in a previous version of this article. This has since been corrected.