Athletics performnace center.jpg

Design for Athletics Performance Center.

The Hazel Ruby McQuain Charitable Trust gifted $10 million to WVU Athletics to build an Athletics Performance Center at the WVU Coliseum Sports Complex.

“We started a campaign about two years ago and marked certain money for certain areas within that campaign,” said Shane Lyons, director of WVU Athletics. “Knowing what the construction could cost, could be based on some of our preliminary work. So given what we know, we wanted a new weight room area, which was going to cost between $10 and $15 million depending on what we wanted to do.

“Once we set the architectural plans, then we will have a little bit of an understanding of what it’s going to cost,” he said.

At the Athletics Performance Center, there will be training rooms, rehabilitation rooms, a cardio and plyometric area and new weights. New locker rooms are also being added for the WVU Olympic sports, which includes almost 400 student athletes.

The building will be a critical component to the future success of baseball, volleyball, gymnastics, rowing, golf, track and field, tennis, rifle, wrestling, swimming and diving, men’s soccer and women’s soccer, according to WVU Athletics.

Lyons said the Performance Center will improve the promise to be at a national level for all sports.

Currently, WVU is working with an architect to plan out what will go inside and outside the facility. That architectural plan process should be completed by the end of June, Lyons said.

“Then [we’ll need] to identify a construction company and then from there, that’s a month or so process,” Lyons said. “I hope by mid-summer to the end of summer, the construction will start, and from there, we’re looking at 12 to 15 months.”

Lyons said the center should be completed sometime in the fall of 2021.