West Virginia University fans sport the ‘horns down’ hand signal during the match-up against Texas.

Oct. 5, 2019: West Virginia University fans sport the ‘horns down’ hand signal during the match-up against Texas.

While Homecoming has been a WVU tradition for decades, how it is celebrated has changed drastically over the years.

While many traditions have come and gone, 2018 WVU graduate Mackenzie Holdren said there are a few traditions she believes the University should bring back.

One of those traditions, known as Tent City, was a popular homecoming event where people could bring their tents and camp-out on the Mountainlair Green.

“When I was a freshman, they had Tent City set up behind the Lair for days before the Homecoming game, and it was a fun event,” Holdren said. “I didn’t hear anything about it this year, so I hope it gets brought back.”

While Holdren said she misses the traditions she celebrated during her time on campus, she said Homecoming has become an opportunity to catch up with college friends.

“Things have changed a lot, and I am definitely nostalgic for that time period in my life,” Holdren said. “This is my first Homecoming as an alum, so I am beyond excited to spend time with my friends who no longer live in Morgantown.”

Carol McGraw, a 1999 WVU graduate, said she remembers several traditions that are no longer present during Homecoming weekend. One she would especially like to see make a comeback is the the Pride’s senior members introduction.

Although McGraw would like to see former band traditions come back, she said one of her favorite parts is just getting to see the band perform.

“I love how all of the alumni come back together to celebrate WVU,” McGraw said. “I also love seeing the alumni band getting to play together again.”

Despite traditions constantly changing, Holdren and WVU alumni Neil Jorgensen both agree the best of all the traditions is the football game.

“There is nothing like a Saturday afternoon game spent with thousands of fellow Mountaineers,” Holdren said.

Jorgensen said this year was his first time back in the WVU football crowd in years.

“This is my first WVU game since 2015,” he said. “I’m stoked to be back in the stadium rooting for my favorite team on a cool October Saturday.”

Holdren and Jorgensen are not alone in looking forward to the homecoming game every year. Michael Whitlock, a WVU senior, said nothing compares to the atmosphere at the game.

Jorgensen said while traditions play a huge role in making homecoming weekend an enjoyable time for students and alumni alike, creating a sense of community is the most important part.

“Homecoming is a wonderful way to bring small communities together,” Jorgensen said. “It captivates that small-town charm.”