Sorority Recruitment

The new sisters of the Sigma Kappa Sorority at West Virginia University celebrate their induction on Bid Day, January 21, 2018.

The WVU Panhellenic Association (PHA) sent a letter to its sororities earlier this week saying a recruitment program similar to the new one rolled out for fraternities would not work.

Freshmen interested in joining sororities cannot currently do so until the Spring semester. Earlier this month, the WVU Interfraternity Council (IFC) rolled back its deferred recruitment policy and created a pilot program for first semester freshmen to rush WVU-affiliated fraternities.

The letter said the IFC and PHA are two distinct groups and what works for one group may not work for the other.

“An exemption process, as was implemented for the IFC, would not work for Panhellenic in its current form,” the letter writes.

The letter also said the IFC program is based on performance, and fraternities must meet a certain criteria to be eligible for fall recruitment.

“[N]ote that moving forward, the approved exemption process to IFC will apply to those fraternities that qualify based on criteria—it is not a permanent change back to the primary fall recruitment process,” the letter writes. “We believe that our community would suffer if we were to switch to performance-based recruitment.

“Since this style is not feasible for our community and we are not exploring an exemption process to the deferred recruitment at this time,” it went on.

The IFC’s pilot rush week began Oct. 24 and will run until Nov. 16.

The University defines eligible freshmen as having a minimum 2.75 GPA, and the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life will grant eligibility status to fraternities and pledges.

WVU listed several requirements for fraternities during the IFC rush week, which include alcohol-free events, event approval from the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and no events can be held between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m.