U Place Parking Garage

Update, 6:10 p.m.: Benjamin Pravecek, a 20-year-old business major from Harpers Ferry, died from the incident, WVU announced.

The WVU police department is continuing to investigate, but foul play is not suggested to be a factor.

“We are grieving today,” WVU dean of students Corey Farris said in a statement. “This tragedy reminds us how important the love, care and compassion we share with others can be. We have been in touch with Benjamin’s family and friends to offer our support during this difficult time, and we will continue to provide whatever resources and help are necessary.” 

Original: WVU police reported to the Sunnyside neighborhood Friday afternoon after a person "fell or jumped" from the University Place parking garage and landed on the sidewalk.

The condition of the person involved has not yet been released. 

The incident occurred at around 12:30 p.m. on Friday, and resulted in the closure of the road. WVU announced at approximately 1:18 p.m. that the road had been reopened. No additional information was made immediately available, but an investigation is ongoing.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the WVU police department at 304-293-3136.

This story will be updated as more information is made available.

Director of Special Projects

He is the Director of Special Projects for The DA. He previously served as the Editor-in-Chief in 2020-21.