breast cancer

Breast Cancer Awareness Month last throughout the month of October

The machines the WVU Cancer Institute uses to deliver radiation therapy has cut treatment time in half, and Hannah Hazard said this is just one of the advancements in breast cancer care.

“We keep refining multidisciplinary care,” said Hazard, an associate professor of surgery at the WVU Department of Surgery and director of Clinical Services for the WVU Cancer Institute, in an email.

“Over the decade or so, the way we deliver radiation therapy has changed,” Hazard, who has been at the Cancer Institute for 12 years, said.

According to the WVU Cancer Institute website, about 1 in 8 U.S. women (12.5%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of their lifetime.

At the WVU Cancer Institute, a breast cancer clinic is available that allows patients to see breast surgeons and oncologists, genetic counselors, social workers, and clinical trial specialists without having to make multiple appointments.

“We keep refining multidisciplinary care,” Hazard said.

Hazard said the Cancer Institute has also developed an intraoperative radiation therapy program for women who have low-risk tumors and opting for lumpectomy.

“We will always push forward giving the latest and most advanced care,” Hazard said. “It’s our dedication to the people of this state and region.”

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, a time to support survivors, increase awareness and raise funds for research into its cause, prevention, treatment and cure.