West Virginia businesses now have 60 days to apply online for permits to grow, process, dispense and test medical marijuana.

Starting on Dec. 19, the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR) Bureau for Public Health will be accepting business applications for growers, processors, laboratories and dispensaries. The application period will end on Feb. 18, 2020.

In 2017, West Virginia passed the Medical Cannabis Act, Senate Bill 386, which allows West Virginia residents with a serious medical condition to use certified medical cannabis.

The law is limited to the forms of pills, oil, topical forms including gels, creams or ointments, vaporization or nebulization excluding dry leaf or plant form, tincture, liquid, or dermal patch.

The medical marijuana program created in 2017 was supposed to launch in July, however, it was delayed because the state treasurer’s banking vendors refused to process marijuana funds, according to the Charleston Gazette-Mail.

In March, House Bill 2538, which determines how money in the medical marijuana industry should be processed, was passed. Then in May, West Virginia lawmakers passed a medical marijuana vertical education bill, SB 1037, which allows one business or single person to hold grower, processor and dispenser permits.

Applications will be accepted online at www.medcanwv.org.