A week after cash grant applications became available for students, WVU has announced changes to how it distributes the federal stimulus package money.

WVU received  $20.2 million through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. 

On Tuesday, WVU announced that students must be eligible for Title IV aid to qualify for the grants, citing additional guidance from the  U.S. Department of Education. 

To determine Title IV aid eligibility, WVU is  requiring students to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2019-2020 academic year.

Information provided on your FAFSA will determine eligibility, according to WVU. In order to be eligible, students must:

• Have a Social Security number

• Be an eligible citizen or eligible non-citizen

• Be registered with Selective Service (if born male)

• Not be in default on a prior student loan or owe a grant overpayment

• Not have a state or federal conviction of possessing or selling drugs where the date of the conviction occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving any Title IV grant, loan or work assistance.

• Be enrolled at least half-time (less than half-time Pell eligible students may still be considered)

• Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress

• Be a regular, degree-seeking student

WVU previously announced that students who received refunds for housing and meal plans were not currently eligible for the additional grants. This is no longer the case.

Those students are now eligible to apply for those grants, according to WVU, but students who withdrew from the Spring semester before March 13 are not eligible. 

Those eligible may receive up to $750 for the Spring 2020 semester. In addition, the University decided that students  eligible for the Pell Grant may receive up to $1,000 for the Spring 2020 semester.

In the Tuesday announcement, the University warned that due to limited financial resources and volume of need, some applications may not be approved. The University also said this may not be the final update to how the government requires WVU distribute the funds.