A WVU student and his dog were hit by a car while walking on a Morgantown crosswalk on Thursday.

Jarrid Winters, a senior physical education-teacher education student from Vienna, West Virginia, received minor injuries in a pedestrian-vehicle accident at the intersection of Patteson Drive and Morrill Way on Thursday evening, said Andrew Stacy, the Morgantown public information officer, in an email. Winters was transported to Ruby Memorial Hospital for further evaluation.

Briana Spiker, the driver, was cited for failure to yield to a pedestrian in the crosswalk, Stacy said.

Winters said he was walking with his dog, a 5-month-old yellow lab named Hera, and his girlfriend, when the car came.

When interviewed on Saturday afternoon, Winters said his right arm and shoulder were swollen, and he received road rash, cuts, a concussion and a possible fracture in his right wrist. He said Hera seemed to be doing fine; his girlfriend was not hit.

“It could have been much worse,” Winters said.

WVU student Leah Berhanu was struck and killed while walking across the intersection in February 2018.

Editor in Chief

Douglas Soule is the editor-in-chief for the Daily Athenaeum. He previously served as assistant news editor at the Daily Athenaeum. He has interned at the Charleston Gazette-Mail and the Daily Athenaeum. He is a junior at WVU.