UPD Chief Roberts

UPD Chief Bob Roberts hugs a student at the Stand for Mizzou rally in November 2015.

Welcome to West Virginia University, whether you are a new or returning student, the University Police Department is honored to be able to serve the community 24 hours a day.

We are proud of the fact that we have one of the safest campuses anywhere, due in no small part to community involvement. Police officers patrol campus. Students and staff practice good crime prevention techniques by locking their car and room doors, by not leaving valuables unguarded, and by calling the University Police when they see something suspicious.

Your University Police Department is the only accredited campus police department in the state. It has a sworn officer operations division, a central communication unit, a student cadet unit, investigations, K-9 teams and other support services. Our officers have the same authority and powers as the city and county police officers.

The department was recognized by Security Magazine as a Top 500 Leader in 2013 and 2014 and we were rated 14th among colleges and universities in 2014.

As a member of our campus community, we remind you that it is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with University rules, regulations and laws. Below, you will find a link to a web page where you can read our procedures and manuals. I strongly encourage you take a moment and review the Emergency Response Flipchart and print a copy to keep. Your actions in an emergency situation can save your life and others lives as well.

While on the website take a moment and sign up for the free LiveSafe application for your smartphone. It is a great way to help us keep campus safe by reporting incidents and safety issues, or by using walk safe. Also, you can view two excellent training videos entitled: Flashpoint and Shots Fired for your safety. Many other prevention and safety documents are available on our site to aid in keeping you and our community safe.

UPD’s telephone number is easy to remember 304.293.COPS (304.293.2677) and I recommend that you enter it into your cell phone’s contact list. All calls to the University Police should use this number and not 911, unless you have an emergency situation.

To help further provide for your safety, the University maintains an emergency notification system called WVU Alert. We use this telephone and text messaging system to notify the University community about emergency situations such as dangerous weather alert messages and campus closings. Each student’s telephone information on record with the University is automatically entered into the system; however, you can add or change numbers by logging into the system on the University Login page.

Throughout the year, UPD teaches a self-defense class for women called PROTECT. This class teaches women that they have choices when confronted with an attacker and helps women prepare to repel an attack. We highly recommend that all women on campus attend this class because it builds self-confidence and emphasizes preparedness.

We need all members of our community to work to maintain and improve the campus safety, so be a part of our safety effort, and we look forward to working with and for you to maintain an atmosphere for learning and living and becoming the best Mountaineer you can be.

Bob Roberts

Chief, University Police and

Director of Emergency Management

police.wvu.edu