rotc

Sophomore students who enroll in military science and complete basic camp in summer 2018 can earn a $5,000 bonus if they contract in the Fall and graduate in May or August 2021. 

The U.S. Army is looking for the best and brightest college students in the country to lead America’s Soldiers as they conduct operations around the world including humanitarian relief efforts and full combat operations. The Army understands that many college students do not know what they will do after their collegiate career is over and is offering a limited opportunity to current college sophomores who have the physical stamina and mental agility to lead America’s Army into the future.

A newly established $5,000 bonus will be awarded to current college sophomores who can pass the challenge of attending cadet basic training and accept the mission to lead the finest Soldiers in the world.

Army ROTC is looking for high quality college sophomores to join ROTC and attend Basic Camp at Fort Knox this summer. The 30-day training event covers basic soldiers skills including drill & ceremony (marching), customs and courtesies in uniform, first aid, patrolling techniques, physical training and more. Cadets who successfully complete Basic Camp, contract in the Fall of 2019, and are on track to graduate in four semesters will be eligible for the $5,000 bonus. They will also make about $1,000 for the month-long training experience and all travel expenses are paid.

Upon graduation cadets who have successfully completed the military science requirements will receive a commission as an officer in the U.S. Army. The cadet may elect to be part of the Regular Army, Army Reserve or Army National Guard. Students can also earn additional tuition assistance through the Simultaneous Membership Program. The West Virginia Army National Guard will pay up to $7,000 annually in tuition assistance to cadets who complete ROTC Basic Camp at Fort Knox who then access into the National Guard. Those students who access into the Guard will receive the WVU in-state tuition rate. National Guard duty requires one weekend of military drill responsibilities and two weeks of annual training, which usually takes place over the summer.

The wide range of jobs and occupations within the Army requires it to recruit officers from all degree fields. The Army also realizes the need for a diverse talent pool to lead Soldiers and defend our national interests. Prospective students must have a minimum college grade point average (GPA) of 2.0, be able to pass the Army Physical Fitness Test, be able to pass a basic medical physical and meet other moral-legal requirements.

Interested college sophomores should contact John Dowling at (304) 293-7546 or john.dowling@mail.wvu.edu for further details. They can also go to www.goarmy.com/rotc or text “ROTCBONUS” to 462769 on their smart device.