Trumpy

Dear Mr. President,

I see that you are a fan of social media. It is a great way to stay connected with the country and reach people my age.

And while you’re really effective at getting your message out on Twitter, I’d like to point out a few things that might help you in the long run.

Did you ever take civics in middle school? Just asking, because you seem a little confused about the role of the President.

For example, when you tweeted, "What is our country coming to when a judge can halt a Homeland Security travel ban and anyone, even with bad intentions, can come into U.S.?" It seems you’re a bit confused on the judiciary process.

Yes, a judge can halt a travel ban, even if it’s from you. That’s called checks and balances. It comes from our Constitution. It allows each of the three branches of government to limit the power of the others when necessary. Great idea, isn’t it?

And when you tweeted, "The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned!" I feel you misunderstand that after being confirmed, a judge is in fact a judge (or do we get to call you a so-called President?) And yes, judges do get to halt the enforcement of laws if they feel they are unconstitutional.

You also tweeted, "What is our country coming to when a judge can halt a Homeland Security travel ban and anyone, even with bad intentions, can come into U.S.?" Do the words "Ellis Island" ring any bells?

Not since America was founded have "bad intentions" ever been a litmus test on who can enter. Did slave traders come with good intentions?

I was also alarmed when you tweeted, "I have instructed Homeland Security to check people coming into our country VERY CAREFULLY. The courts are making the job very difficult!" Clearly you haven’t flown commercial lately. And I think you can rest assured that checking "VERY CAREFULLY" is already in their job description.

Again, thanks for communicating in a way my age can relate to. And if you ever need a civics textbook, I still have mine. I’ll highlight the important parts.

Sincerely,

Brandon Ridgely