Some Reasons to Vote for Kendra Fershee for U.S. House of Representatives:

kendra fershee

Kendra Fershee, a professor of law at WVU, challenged incumbent David McKinley for the 1st Congressional District seat.

1. There are too many old, wealthy, white men in the U.S. House of Representatives. Women only comprise 19 percent of the members of the House of Representatives, yet they comprise 50.8 percent of the U.S. population. Wealthy, old, white men like David McKinley tend not to understand nor appreciate the problems of young women, young mothers and people who live from paycheck to paycheck.

We need Kendra Fershee, a young mother who is an expert in family law. She is smart, knowledgeable and compassionate. She deserves your vote.

2. David McKinley refuses to hold the president responsible for his bad behavior in using slurs and bullying tactics. David McKinley refuses to hold the President responsible for publicly denigrating the FBI and the attorney general of the United States and for obstructing justice. David McKinley refuses to hold the president responsible from continuing to operate his hotels and personally profiting from his office in violation of the emoluments clause of the Constitution. David McKinley was silent when the president stated that he believes Vladimir Putin rather than the FBI investigation into Russian meddling in the presidential election. When materials, books and letters appeared stating that the White House staff believed that the president was unfit to serve and that removal of the president under the provisions of the 25th Amendment might be appropriate, David McKinley did not ask for a congressional investigation of the president’s fitness to serve. In short, David McKinley cannot be depended upon to enforce the checks and balances in our Constitution, which is vital to the preservation of our Country.

We need Kendra to restore balance, civility and respect for the law. You need to vote for Kendra.

3. David McKinley pretended to be a deficit hawk and to oppose creating larger budget deficits until the president convinced him to support an enormous budget deficit to provide large permanent tax benefits to the most wealthy individuals and corporations. Of course, the rest of us received a very small tax break, which is likely to expire in a few years. Now, those in Congress who are depleting our treasury, including David McKinley, are prepared to drastically reduce the safety net provided by Social Security benefits, Medicare and Medicaid. Although David McKinley protests that the president has pledged not to touch Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, there are many of us who are unwilling to take the word of a president who is a proven serial liar who will change positions whenever it pleases him; neither should David McKinley believe him.

Kendra can be trusted to protect the safety net because she realizes and respects the real-life consequences to non-wealthy families of removing protections that they have come to rely upon. Seniors, children, the disabled, those who are ill and those who care about seniors, children, the disabled and the chronically ill, need Kendra.

4. David McKinley has allowed the president to ignore the effects of man-caused global weirding, including increased flooding, rising ocean levels and more severe hurricanes in the East and South, more intense and frequent fires in the West, droughts and dust storms in the Southwest and toxic tides in Florida. Although in North Carolina, the recent flooding has caused concerns about toxic coal ash polluting the Cape Fear River, David McKinley continues to maintain that coal ash is not toxic and he lobbies and legislates to encourage the commercial use of coal ash, thus endangering our health and the health of our children and grandchildren.

We need Kendra, who recognizes the environmental danger to our country, our homes and our families and who will fight to preserve wild, wonderful West Virginia.

5. David McKinley did not fight to preserve affordable health care, especially for those with pre-existing conditions. In January 2017, when the House of Representatives was considering H.R. 3, the budget resolution that was the beginning of the process to repeal the Affordable Care Act, David McKinley refused to meet with those of us who wanted to discuss the proposal. Instead, ignoring our concerns, he voted in favor. Then, in May of 2017, David McKinley again ignored our plea to talk with him about H.R. 1628, the American Health Care Act of 2017, and he voted to allow higher premiums for those with pre-existing conditions, to allow sham insurance policies that do not provide for meaningful coverage, to reduce funding for Medicare and to allow higher premiums for older enrollees.

To maintain affordable and meaningful health care for all West Virginians, we need Kendra.

6. David McKinley has shown a lack of interest in serving as our representative to Congress. When there is legislation pending that affects us, David McKinley has not shown the interest nor the courage to come here, in person, to have a face-to-face dialogue so he can understand people’s concerns. Rather, he calls with invitations to attend remote phone forums. He has refused to provide his positions on key issues covered by the 2018 Political Courage test.

Kendra has the desire and the courage to talk with us in person and to represent us in Congress.