During this time of the semester, you will start to see a lot of advertisements, social media posts and people out promoting their specific fraternities on campus. It is normal to think to yourself, “What is the deal with fraternities and why are these guys so passionate about this?” Well, hopefully I can shed some light on what exactly a fraternity experience has to offer at WVU and how you can get involved if you decide it interests you.

According to Webster’s Dictionary, the definition of a fraternity is simply, “the state or feeling of friendship and mutual support within a group.” Some synonyms include brotherhood, fellowship, kinship, friendship and community. In whichever fraternity you decide to join, you will quickly realize how true that definition is. It is a group of brothers united in a common bond that will quickly become your family away from home. Together you create lifelong memories and take pride in bettering your community. It is truly an experience like no other.

In joining a fraternity, you will have opportunities to excel in leadership positions, networking, social development, academic success and create brotherhood that will last a lifetime. You will also have the chance to participate in community service, philanthropy and campus wide events such as homecoming, Greek week and others.

Members of our Greek community are also a part of other organizations and have made an impact across campus. We have members who have been elected student body president and vice president, Homecoming King and Queen, won Mr. and Mrs. Mountaineer, chosen to be the Mountaineer Mascot and went on to be high-achieving individuals. Our presence on campus extends to every major and almost every student organization. 

Apart from current student members, we also have fraternity alumni who went on to do amazing things. We have alumni who own professional sports teams, run Fortune 500 companies and have achieved elected offices. Alumni love to come back to campus and give back to their community. The potential network you can create with these alumni and your fellow chapter brothers is invaluable. Because of this, a lot of these alumni credit a lot of their successes to their experience as an active member of their chapter during college.

If you are interested in becoming a member of our amazing community, we encourage you to come out to rush week and check out each of our nine fraternities to see what they have to offer.

All information regarding rush week can be found on our twitter account, @WVUFraternities. Make sure to follow the account for updates in the coming days. If you have any questions, please contact our IFC President, Calvin Komiske (cakomiske@mix.wvu.edu) or our IFC VP of Recruitment, Douglas Ernest Jr (dbernest@mix.wvu.edu), respectfully. I look forward to meeting you during rush week on Jan. 27 - Feb. 2 and we hope that you decide to go Greek.

Douglas Ernest Jr. is the VP of Recruitment for the WVU Interfraternity Council (IFC), president of Order of Omega Greek Honorary and the Greek life liaison for SGA.