Over the last few years I’ve watched as multiple people walking or biking have been mamed or killed by people driving motor vehicles. Our dear friends Charlie Shaffer, Divanté Coles, and Robin Ames have been hit while riding; WVU students Leah Berhanu and Sara Queen have been hit walking to …

It’s 2020, and the census is upon us. This is a time where we get to look at the results and see what has happened in the last decade with regard to population. While the country as a whole is certain to see a population increase, I am more concerned as to what is going on within the borders…

There are very few experiences that compare to a football game day in Morgantown. No matter what time kickoff is set for, you will find droves of fans filling the Blue Lot at 7 a.m. to get the day started. However, not all kickoff times are equal. Every fan dreads the infamous noon kickoff. …

As students of the WVU community, we strongly oppose HB 2519, legislation that would require us to attend a school where anyone could conceal a handgun so long as that person obtained a permit. Many of us have signed an open letter written earlier today entitled, “Open Letter on Campus Carry…

Back in 2012, when my husband, Rabbi Joe Hample, was looking for a congregational job, I had to convince him to apply for the job at Tree of Life here in Morgantown. “West Virginia is unfriendly to gays,” he said. “They won’t hire me.” I told him to calm down. “Morgantown is a college town w…

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Guns don’t kill people—people kill people. An armed society is a polite society.

In response to the well-expressed opinions of the writer of Monday’s letter in The Daily Athenaeum about the state of Greek life on campus:

Earlier on in the week, as I was sitting in the confines of my room in Beckley, West Virginia, I saw a letter to the editor which peaked my interest. It was an anonymous RA at WVU listing reasons as to why Greek life should be shut down after the recent incidents involving fraternities.

It was the beginning of August, and I was settling in as a new student at West Virginia University. While I got ready for a new semester, two hours away in my hometown of Parkersburg a proposed ordinance was the talk of the town. The Non-Discrimination Ordinance, or the NDO, had been propose…

The Daily Athenaeum logo WVU's Independent Student Newspaper