The crosswalk signals in Morgantown are unreliable and actually encourage a culture of jaywalking.

Here’s an example:

Sunday morning, and on many other occasions, I waited for the pedestrian signal to walk across High Street at the spot where it meets Pleasant Street. High Street is one-way, and the signs beside the traffic light says no turning on red. So, when the traffic lights are red at this intersection, there’s no reason why pedestrians cannot cross High Street. Yet, the red light turned green and red again, and I still did not get the signal’s permission to go. I even hit the pedestrian button. Finally, I decided it would be best to just cross anyway, which is something that establishes a culture of jaywalking.

This is not the only spot where this happens. Just look at where Fayette Street meets High Street. Also on Sunday morning, I wanted to cross Fayette Street at this intersection. The traffic light was red, and signs told drivers they couldn’t turn on red. There was no reason I couldn’t cross, but the crosswalk signal seemed to think otherwise.

When there are discussions of pedestrian safety, it is not uncommon for people to mention students jaywalking and not paying attention. This is certainly a problem, and many students are certainly at fault for this. But the structural problem that is encouraging students to jaywalk should also be addressed.