Two campus military members stand guard outside of the Downtown Library on 9/11.

Sept. 11, 2019: Two campus military members stand guard outside of the Downtown Library on 9/11.

This is an editorial, published on Sept. 12, 2001, written by the Daily Athenaeum. Most of our current newsroom cannot remember 9/11 – some working here were even born after the horrific events. Yet, reading this editorial shows the fear and uncertainty of those times, while also showing the unity that followed the calamity. You can read more about how the

University community responded to 9/11 with the article starting on the first page.

Never forget.

Around the country and the world, tears were shed for the thousands of victims caught in acts of violence and hate.

However, the drops that fell from many of our eyes were most likely not enough to comfort the uncalculated numbers of dead.

As one television reporter was told by emergency rescue officials, there was no way to calculate the number of dead because there were bodies everywhere – bodies they even had to drive over in order to help those who had a chance.

Each time our televisions yielded one more recap of the day’s events – each time we saw the planes crash into the World Trade Center, each time we shuddered at the sight of desperate victims jumping from their offices, each time we heard the wail of sirens in the background of news broadcasts – the tears cried again still weren’t enough to calm those left wondering if their loved ones were still alive.

Perhaps the disbelief in Tuesday’s horrific events were the only thing we could believe.

But today, we all have to believe that life does go on and that damages can be repaired.

Though the road to recovery won’t be an easily accessible one, especially for those who have lost friends and family, it can be done together.

The community of West Virginia University can play its part in this reparation by offering support and condolences to those who have lost loved ones in the tragedies of Sept. 11, 2001.

As we were all scarred in some way by witnessing Tuesday’s events, we must remember those who were hurt even deeper than us with their losses.

And though the urge to blame and attack those whom may be responsible for Tuesday’s terrible chain of events, the University community must also remember that hasty reaction is no way to act upon an already confusing and unbelievable event.

Because then, only more tears might be shed.